Monday, October 27, 2003

Day One: It All Starts With God

I think this was the perfect chapter for me. I am definitely one of those people who think self-help and personal growth of any kind comes from within myself. Reading that first line, "It's not about you" was exactly what I needed to read to help me open my mind and heart to the fact that this is a journey to discover God's purpose for my life, not my own.

I will admit that a few things I read made me a wee bit nervous...especially one thing I read in the introduction to the book. It was written that a journey is always better when it is shared. I tend to be a very private person. It has always been hard for me to share my thoughts and feelings on personal matters...sometimes even so difficult for me to share that it keeps me from opening up to my own husband. But, as it also said...real spiritual growth is never an isolated, individualistic experience.

I NEED THIS.

There...I said it! I need to be more open about my growth and my walk with God...for myself and for others. I have never had that before.

After we read the first chapter, Darryl and I were talking, and I said that knowing how I am...I need to be very careful not to approach this book and this study just from an intellectual perspective. I generally find it very easy to use my mind as I deal with things, always keeping my heart and my emotions neatly tucked away. I want to make sure I am keeping my heart open to this whole experience.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
It's not about me.

Verse to Remember: "Everything got started in him and finds it purpose in him." Colossians 1:16b (Msg)

Question to Consider: In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

In one of my classes at college, I remember a professor discussing how we live in a "market place of pleasure." Everything is aimed at how we can gain pleasure...food, material possessions, wealth, etc. It is increasingly difficult for people to separate what they need from what they want or desire . What I need is to be fulfilled, to know the direction for my life, to know I am doing God's will. Twenty pairs of shoes, a new car or a fat paycheck each week isn't going to make that happen. It might make me feel better for a little while, but will it really ease the longing that my soul has? No.

page 19, "But being successful and fulfilling your life's purpose are not at all the same issue!"

Note: I have archived each day's posts, so that only the current day's thoughts will be on the main page...please click "Archives" at the top of the page to read past thoughts.