Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Day Three: What Drives Your Life?

That was easy for me to answer even before I began the chapter and before I read about the five most common things that drive most people's lives.

Fear

I can not count the number of times in my life that I have failed to act, or held back on something, or not taken a chance on something simply because there was some kind of fear within me. I can only imagine all the opportunities I must have missed out on in my life.

I also found that the other 4 things that commonly drive people are things that I fall prey to as well. I have a hard time letting go of things in the past. I find myself constantly asking God to ease my mind or to help keep my thoughts from turning to things that once were. I ask instead to have my mind focused on the possibilities of what can be. Yesterday I even wrote about how I think that all of our past experiences in life make us who we are today, and while that is true...what I found as I was reading today is that, as the book said...while we are products of our past, we do not have to be prisoners of it.

I need to let go. I need to look past the things I have done in my life or the things that people have done to me, and start looking towards the future and what could be possible if I can focus on God and discover my purpose in life.

I can not tell you how exciting it would be to not be focused constantly on the need for approval, or how scared I am of what may be, or what has happened to me in the past.

Imagine this...

Living my life with meaning!
Less stress!
Simplicity!
Motivation!
Security of my eternity with God!

Show me the dotted line....I am signing up!!!

A particularly important concept that I pulled from the book was that "hope is as essential to your life as air and water." I can not tell you how true this is for me. If I did not have the hope that God was going to exercise his will in my life, the hope that I might find my purpose, or the hope that I would become a better person and have meaning in my life, then...well...I can't say that I would have much left at all.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
Living on purpose is the path to peace.

Verse to Remember: "You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you." Isaih 26:3 (TEV)

Question to Consider: What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?


Darryl and I talked a lot about this question after we got done reading tonight, and I can not really say for certain that my family and friends would be able to say what a driving force in my life would be. I am not even sure I can say what it is. I think I would like to think about this some more, but I know that ultimately, whatever God's will and purpose for my life is....THAT is what I think I would like it to be.