Friday, October 31, 2003

Day Five: Seeing Life from God's View

I have always held the same belief as the first line of this chapter: "The way you see your life shapes your life." I pride myself on being a positive person in most circumstances, and I always try to see the good in other people or situations. Of course, there are times when I fail in this and let a frown cross my face or mumble unpleasantries here and there.

The concept of a life metaphor was a bit more difficult for me to grasp. I sat here and thought for a while, and realized that probably 20 or more times a week, I will hear myself telling people, "It will all work itself out." My employees at work can even finish the sentence for me when I start it. But...I believe it! By trusting in God and working to live my life according to his will, it will all work itself out!

It has been hard to keep that in my mind on some occasions though. During the video simulcast we watched at the church, Rick Warren talked about how growth comes from trials and tests. The book echoed this saying that we are always being tested, and that these tests help build our character. In my Weight Watchers meeting 2 weeks ago, one woman said that she always heard "never pray for patience" and I asked why (because I had never heard that saying) and she said, "Because God will give it to you for sure!" meaning that a test will be provided that will allow you to gain patience by overcoming it. Some days (weeks, months, etc) I feel tested ALL the time. And perhaps I am. But sometimes I feel so overwhelmed I just have to stop and pray and ask God to help me through it.

Gaining God's trust with what he has given is something I need to continuously work on, but feel I am beginning to get a handle on. I have generally been one of those people that felt I, alone, accomplished all that I have...never paying tribute to the silent partner that was with me each step of the way. As I grow more in my walk with God and begin to build his trust in the smaller things, like tithing, I am sure I will see more tests and opportunity to build trust present itself.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
Life is a test and a trust.

Verse to Remember: "Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won't be faithful in large ones." Luke 16:10a (NLT)

Question to Consider: What has happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?


Early this spring and summer I was likely as far from God as I have ever been in my life. I am not quite ready to go into it all publicly, but I think I failed nearly ever test given to me, and just when I thought God couldn't get any farther away from me, he spoke to me and pulled me back. I am so thankful now that I listened to the Holy Spirit and worked to overcome my situation at the time.

As for the matters that God has entrusted to me...I honestly am not sure. The whole stewardship concept is still a bit tricky to me, but I plan to do some thinking about this one.

Note: I have archived each day's posts, so that only the current day's thoughts will be on the main page...please click "Archives" at the top of the page to read past thoughts.