Saturday, February 21, 2004

Prayers for Haiti

When you pray each day, what and who do you pray for?

My usual prayers include thanking God for what he has done in my life, the mercy He has shown me, I ask for forgiveness, I ask for His will in my life, I ask Him to be with friends and family in their times of need...I could go on. But, one thing I also do and have been doing since I read The Purpose Driven Life is pray for a country. I used to pray for Taiwan. I know that sounds silly saying, "Please be with Taiwan" or "Please bless Taiwan", but I did it. I wanted God to be with the people in that country who didn't know Him, or those who know Him but are persecuted for their beliefs.

A few weeks ago, I started praying specifically for a different country, and I want to ask those of you who have never considered praying for people or places outside of your own city or country to consider praying for the people there as well. Darryl and I pray daily for the country of Haiti and the people there.

In October of 2003, our church sent a team of 13 members to Haiti to help do work with some missionaries that work with an organization called Mountain Top Ministries. To read a bit about their experience, feel free to click here and visit a page one of the members who went created. From everything that the people who went said upon their return, it was an amazing experience.

The Mountain Top Ministries group works to provide medical care, schooling and spiritual ministry to the people of Haiti. For that ministry alone, I would pray. But in recent weeks, I have begun praying additionally because of the strife occurring in that country. If you have consumed any news recently, you can read and hear about uprisings and rebel groups over-throwing the government in all parts of the country.

Nearly a week ago, one of the 13 members from our church who originally went to Haiti in October felt called to return to the Mountain Top Ministries area and help with the dedication of their new church. Despite the upheaval in the country, and the risk to his own life, he answered God's call and went to assist. As news comes in daily, I continue to pray for his safe return and for the safety of all the people who live in Haiti.

Can you please help me and do the same? It is so very easy...just something simple like this:

"Dear Heavenly Father,
Please keep your hand upon the innocent people in Haiti.
Please bring peace to their country and minimize the bloodshed.
Please allow the safe return of all missionaries working in Haiti, and be with those who continue their work there.
Please be with Haiti.
Amen."