Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Day 38: Becoming a World-Class Christian

I have never done missions work outside of my single Backyard Bible Club experience, and that was only for the 3-4 blocks around the neighborhood I lived in when I was growing up....not a whole other country! Just last night I was talking to the friend that I brought with me to the dinner and concert at the church, and I was telling her that one of the things I really like about our church is that they are actively involved in missions work around the world. I told her about the Haiti trip and how I had never done anything like that. Growing up, our church never sent our own people on trips like that, we just sent money to our Home Office to support missions....Lottie Moon Mission Offerings!!

In my job I have begun to think more in global terms, but perhaps it is now time I think about my service to God in global terms. While I personally do not feel ready for a missions trip outside of the country, maybe that very experience could be the thing I need.

I liked the point Warren made about the Internet making it more and more possible to reach people in different places around the world. Right now, I assume most of the people who read this blog are members of our church, but if I keep writing here on a regular basis, someone from some place else might stumble upon my little site and find God where they least expected it...on a webpage!

There was one point that I was really glad to read today: "Prayer is the most important tool for your mission in the world. People may refuse our love or reject our message, but they are defenseless against our prayers." I had a experience today that nearly made me cry with anger. I was telling an old friend how I had started going to church again and how God has started changing my life. He started attacking me personally, and telling me that I was a fool for my beliefs. I tried repeatedly to tell him some of the simple things that I have learned during this study, and he would not listen. I finally had to just walk away, but rest assured that my prayers will continue to pursue him. That is the least I can do...pray....for him and for the rest of the world.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
The Great Commissions is my commission.

Verse to Remember: "Send us around the world with the news of your saving powers and your eternal plan for all mankind." Psalm 67:2 (LB)

Question to Consider: What steps can I take to prepare to go on a short-term missions experience in the next year?


~ I can talk to Darryl.
~ I can talk to God through prayer.
~ I can talk to members of my church who have done something similar already.
~ I can see when they plan to do something like that again.
~ I can pray for the rest of the world until I can go out and see it.