Thursday, November 27, 2003

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!


Day 32: Using What God Gave You

I was relieved to read today that jumping in head first and helping out with different ministries is a good, and even recommended way to get closer to discovering your personal ministry. As I mentioned in the last few entries, I am not sure what my ministry is because I am only now beginning to look at myself as having abilities and gifts that can benefit other believers and the church, but I already knew somehow that just getting out there and doing would help me find my way.

I liked the thought of actually sitting down and making a list....thinking of my abilities and the things I am good at, trying to pinpoint my spiritual gifts. I think asking Darryl to help me review those when I make a list would be a good thing. Perhaps we will even have our own "life review retreat" as Warren mentioned.

The one thing I want to make sure not to do is to compare or conform as Satan tries to tempt me. In my career it is often very easy to compare the work that I do to the work others do in similar positions to mine. It is also a place where conformity is sometimes the norm because I work as a team member in a department. I need to be cognizant of the fact that this is my ministry for God and some of the "rules" that go for my job don't necessarily have a place here. I want to be confident in what I am doing, yet avoid pride and I want to be sure I am honoring my uniqueness at the same time.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
God deserves my best.

Verse to Remember: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the work of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 (NIV)

Question to Consider: How can I make the best use of what God has given me?


I think the first step in that is sitting down and making a concerted effort to think and pray about what my skills and abilities and gifts are. If I do not take the time to fully examine what I have to offer, I may overlook the one thing that could be my whole ministry...the one thing that only I can do. I also think getting in there and serving somehow will begin to give me a taste of my many options and help me focus on and pinpoint where my strengths really lie.

It sounds like an exciting time of discovery ahead!