Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Day 31: Understanding Your SHAPE

If you really desire to be used by God, you must understand a powerful truth: The very experiences that you have resented or regretted most in your life - the ones you've wanted to hide and forget - are the experiences God wants to use to help others. They are your ministry.

I remember listening to Rick Warren speak that very paragraph from his book almost verbatim during the Simulcast at the beginning of this bible study. I also remember being very nervous, and thinking to myself that I didn't like the fact that God may want me to share some of my hurtful past with other people. I remember being very nervous about possibly having to reveal those painful experiences to other people, but if it could be my greatest ministry, then how could I not share my experiences?

In a way, I already am. I write here daily on my blog...some days are more positive than others. Some days I am excited by what I read, some days I have doubts and fears. Some days I don't feel that I have much to say, some days I feel I write too much. In the end, I think I have found a good way to use my talents and abilities to do something good for me and for other people.

I hope that as I continue examining my SHAPE, I will find other more direct ways to minister to those around me. I want to be a contributing member of my church and help it become the functioning body that God wants it to be. I want to make my unique contribution to the Body of Christ, because like Warren said...if I don't do it, no one will.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
Nobody else can be me.

Verse to Remember: "God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God's many kinds of blessings." 1 Peter 4:10 (LB)

Question to Consider: What God-given ability or personal experience can I offer to my church?


I think as I get to know the church better, I will be able to see what their needs are, and I can better find a way to offer my service. There are many things that I could potentially do because I have many interests, but with time and increased fellowship, I am sure something will present itself.