Sunday, November 16, 2003

Day 21: Protecting Your Church

Today is the 21st day I have been reading this book. 21 days in a row I made time to read and study in order to discover my purpose. I have heard somewhere before that it takes 21 days for an action to become a habit. I can definitely say that after 21 days, this book and its lesson are becoming more than just habit, they are becoming part of my life!

Today Darryl and I took this past week's lessons to heart and stayed for Thanksgiving Dinner after worship service this morning. The smell of the turkey and all the wonderful foods everyone brought would have probably been enough to get us to go downstairs anyway, but I couldn't help but think that fellowship has to start sometime...and today seemed as good as any!

I have been a part of a church that split because the members were more concerned about personal agendas and gossip. I can remember waking up one Sunday when I was about 16 years old and my mother telling me not to get ready for church because we weren't going. Now, being 16 years old and not really ever allowing myself to be involved with the politicking and the grapevine that existed in my church, I had no idea of the turmoil that had lead up to that Sunday. That Sunday was the day my step-father would be resigning as the pastor of the church. To this day I still do not know the full story of what happened, I only know that conflict tore the church apart and my step-father chose to leave the congregation. I think that I prefer not to know the whole story.

I have suspicions that our current church may have gone through some issues like this in the past as well. I have heard remarks here or there during service, or in places around the church...and it leads me to think that perhaps this is a time of healing for FBCNTH. All I know is that I am ready to do my part in helping the church heal. I want to help build my fellowship with other members, and help the church unify.

I heard Pastor Carey talk about his daughter today and it really made me reflect on my own personal experiences in the past year or so. My biggest obstacle (in my mind) to coming back to church was the Church itself. Not necessarily THIS church, but the concept of church in general. This chapter and my experiences in recent weeks have shown me that the church can not only be a great source of strength and inspiration for me as I begin my new walk with God, but it can also be the picture of a family that I have longed for and missed for so long.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
It is my responsibility to protect the unity of the church.

Verse to Remember: "Lets us concentrate on the things which make for harmony and the growth of our fellowship together." Romans 14:19 (Ph)

Question to Consider: What am I personally doing to protect my unity in my church family right now?


I am still getting to know my new church family, but one of the greatest things that I am working to do to protect it right now is simply to allow myself to keep an open mind. I am working carefully not to judge anyone that I meet, not to find myself listening to any information that might not be appropriate, and not to allow myself my usual tendency to pull back and try to worship on my own. I am allowing myself to share my experiences and learn from the experience of others, and I think that is a good place for me to start.