Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Day 17: A Place to Belong

There was a period of time in my life not long ago when I would tell people that I was more of a "spiritualist" rather than a Christian. I told them I believed in God, that I believed in his word, but that my biggest issue had to do with the assembly of believers called Church. I had allowed myself to get so far away from church and let my relationship with God deteriorate to the point that I felt that I could still be a good Christian even if I did not attend church.

How wrong I was.

I am not sure what it was about the church we attend now that made me want to go. I think it was the friendly faces, the acceptance of us with no questions asked, the contemporary music, the multi-media sermons...it was the whole package. First Baptist Church of North Terre Haute was the first church we visited when we moved to Terre Haute in 1997, and it was always the church we went to when family came to town and we needed to go to church on a Sunday morning like "good Christians" did. But, when it came time for me and Darryl to get serious about renewing our walk with God, it was also the first place we turned.

Perhaps my issues with church stemmed from never having belonged to a church as an adult. When my step-father departed as the pastor at his church back in Kansas, I was only 16. The church did not have a functioning youth ministry while I was there, so I was more of an "attender" rather than a member. I was never really involved in much even thought I attended Sunday mornings and evenings with my family. After that I kind of "floated", especially once I went to college. Not having a church family allowed me to rationalize more and more things that were acceptable to do, yet I still felt I was being a "good Christian."

When we began attending FBCNTH, all I wanted to do was sit in the back, sing, listen and then leave. It was enough for me just to go and listen and begin to renew my walk with God. When I heard of the 40 Days of Purpose, I knew this was the way for us to get involved. This would be the key to not only helping us personally as Christians, but also would help us get to know the church. I am so thankful we started attending when we did, or we could have missed an incredible opportunity. Just being around other members and hearing what they have to share about their lives lifts me up in a way that I have not experienced in a long, long time.

Thank you First Baptist Church of North Terre Haute!

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
I am called to belong, not just believe.

Verse to Remember: "In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." Romans 12:5 (NIV)

Question to Consider: Does my level if involvement in my local church demonstrate that I love and am committed to God's family.


I think that it is beginning to. We haven't been attending regularly long enough to participate in many things, but this bible study is the first step. I have seen or heard about many things in the church that I think would be good for us to begin to explore, and I am sure that as my relationship with God grows, my involvement in and attachment to the church will to.