Monday, November 10, 2003

Day 15: Formed for God's Family

I attended the same church for about seven years when I lived at home in Kansas, but I can't say that I felt a connection to that church family that surpassed or even meant as much to me as my own earthly family. Don't get me wrong...I know who everyone was, I participated in church functions, and I fellowshipped with the other believers there, but I don't think I really saw them as a "family" to me. Perhaps it was because of my age, or my lack of understanding of what being a Christian is all about.

Knowing that there is always a place for me in God's family gives me comfort. It is nice to know that no matter what is going on with me in my own personal life, with my earthly family and friends, or at work, my family in Christ will be there for me.

I am just beginning to meet the people at our new church, and have been comforted by the fact that the church has been so welcoming to Darryl and I. We even had our pictures taken for the new church directory! I haven't had my picture taken in a church directory since I was in junior high school and posed with my parents! It feels good to belong, and I think we have chosen a wonderful place to begin to grow as Christians and interact with our eternal family.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
I was formed for God's family.

Verse to Remember: "His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ." Ephesians 1:5a (NLT)

Question to Consider: How can I start treating other believers like members of my own family?


This is a bit hard for me. As an only child, I tend to be a bit on the private side, not putting myself or my feelings out there (hard to believe that with me writing like this every day, isn't it?!?). But I think the best way is for me to just practice sharing myself with other believers. Beginning to open myself up to get to know others, to share my experiences, and to learn from theirs.