Saturday, November 08, 2003

Day 13: Worship That Pleases God

Once again, I read my chapter only to find God using it to address a fear or concern that I had prior to reading it. Earlier this evening, Darryl and I were watching last week's small group video and listening to an audio tape of last week's sermon since we had to miss church on Sunday, and I began talking to Darryl about a somewhat emotional issue for me.

I have always been deeply moved by experiences that involve God, the church, spirituality...all of "those things" and I told Darryl that I get worried sometimes that other people will think I am odd if I get really moved about something and cry. He said that no one would judge me for the way I happen to worship...and the book reinforced that today.

God cares that our worship is authentic. Period. And if me crying when I am moved by a thought or a feeling is what is authentic about MY style of worship, then I am doing what he asks of me. I am, in fact, worshipping the way that he created me to.

I like that there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach to worship and friendship with God. I feel that I struggle enough as it is, and if I had to worry about fitting myself into a cookie-cutter shape and style of worship that other Christians have, then I would likely be so overcome with stress about conforming, that I likely wouldn't be able to worship at all!

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder: God wants all of me.

Verse to Remember: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength." Mark 12:30 (NIV)

Question to Consider: Which is more pleasing to God right now - my public worship or my private worship? What will I do about this?


Right now I feel that I have work to do in both my private and my public efforts to worship God, and I am hoping that my efforts alone are being noticed and pleasing him. I think my sincerity and openness pleases God, but I know that I still hold back on occasion, and that my half-heartedness does not please him, so there are definitely areas that I can continue to work on. I am hoping that continuing to talk with Darryl and that the small group time will help me with this journey.