Friday, November 14, 2003

Day 19: Cultivating Community

Because fellowship and community is based on relationships with other people, it was easy for me to read this chapter's characteristics of fellowship and think of relationships in my own life where these traits have become important and even vital to those relationships. I have a friend right now that could use my honesty probably more than anything else in her life at this moment, simply because no one else we know is able or willing to step up and be frank with her about what is going on in her life. I know this is something that I should do. For her. For our friendship. And for my own growth. Doing it isn't as easy, however!!

I really liked the part in the discussion of courtesy that talked about reframing our thinking so we aren't always concerned with how far someone has to go, but rather we notice how far they have already come! I have to be sure to remind myself to not only do that for others, but to do it for myself! I know my development and growth as a Christian is going to be different than Darryl's, the same as his is different than mine. We each have work to do, but we have already done so much already!

Overall, I just think that the key is to remember that at the base of fellowship and building community in small groups is relationships with God and relationships with other believers. If we give our time, effort and commitment (along with all the other characteristics) to the group and the members in it, then our fellowship shall become powerful indeed.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
Community requires commitment.

Verse to Remember: "We understand what love is when we realize that Christ have his life for us. That means we must give our lives for other believers." 1 John 3:16 (GWT)

Question to Consider:How can I help cultivate today the characteristics of real community in my small group and church?


I work at Indiana State University with freshman on-campus housing. I have 30 student staff members that live and work in two buildings that are made up of 20 floors of communities. All first-year college students. One of the things that we constantly do work and training with these staff members about is how to build community on these floors. We ask these student staff members to make a huge personal commitment by becoming an active part in the community themselves, and we also equip them with the skills needed to facilitate participation in the community by members of the floor.

Just as it is in any of the 20 communities in my housing complex, I need to make a commitment to my church community and small group, and I also need to participate. To share myself with them and accept them as they share themselves with me.