Friday, November 21, 2003

Day 26: Growing Through Temptation

I read this chapter with an almost heavy heart. I know all too well the temptations that exist within me and the ones I have allowed myself to act on. But, knowing that God is there for me when I need him made me see that the weight of these temptations is not something I have to bear alone. And as the last page of this chapter said, "When you stumble - which you will - it is not fatal." THANK GOODNESS! I know it is impossible to avoid temptation in my life, but it brings me much peace to know that it won't be the end of me.

I think the thing I need to really remind myself is that temptation simply provides the choice. I have the power to make the right choice, and even when I don't feel strong or able to make the right choice, I can call on God for help. I never have to be embarrassed to seek God's help, and in fact I should seek it, because he sees it all happening anyway!

I thought Warren did a great thing by suggesting that we take time to stop and think about our temptations. For me, my temptations tend to be focused on a particular thing, and so if I stop and think about the When, Where, Why, How of my temptation, I can better help myself overcome the temptation by avoiding it in the first place.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
Every temptation is an opportunity to do good.

Verse to Remember: "God bless the people who patiently endure testing. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12 (NLT)

Question to Consider: What Christlike character quality can I develop by defeating the most common temptation I face?


Temptation lies within everyone. It all begins with a thought, and then as Warren noted, we have a choice. My most common temptation (and the one that I give in to the most) is one that could be defeated most often if I could develop the Christlike quality of self-control. Or rather, I should say that I would develop self-control if I can overcome my temptation.

After we were done reading, Darryl mentioned that he thought it was interesting that the tool that Satan uses to tear us down is the same tool that God uses to build us up. I need to remember that every temptation I overcome is not only relieving me of that temptation at that moment, but it is also building my character!