Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Day 23: How We Grow

I liked this little chapter because of its BIG message!

Choosing to becoming Christ like and grow spiritually is a commitment. You have to make a decision that you are going to think and act a certain way, and then as a person you have to add your half of the effort to the equation...God doesn't just change us in a puff of smoke. We have to give our effort and dedication to the process.

Probably the most relevant few sentences in this chapter for me were on page 181: "Behind everything you do is a thought. Every behavior is motivated by a belief, and every action is prompted by an attitude." How true this is!! I can sit here and think to myself that I know all about God and I know about my faith, and I understand what I believe, but when it comes right down to it....does my attitude show it?

As I continue to work on continuous worship with God, and work to strengthen my fellowship with other believers, I am hoping that my thoughts, and my attitudes will begin to change enough that my outward actions will show my commitment to God and my relationship with him. I feel pretty good about my ability to think about others, but I know that my thoughts and attitude are not Christ like at all times....and how could they be? I am a sinner like anyone else. But...what can make me different is my commitment to change and grow!

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
It is never too late to start growing.

Verse to Remember: "Let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God - what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect." Romans 12:2b (TEV)

Question to Consider: What is one area where I need to stop thinking my way are start thinking God's way?


I allow myself to have limitations. Often I am the only one holding me back. It is my human mindset that creates many of my own struggles and obstacles to overcome. It wasn't until I was typing today's "point to ponder" that I realized that I am the one who stopped my spiritual growth. God never took his hand away from me. It was always me and my internal dialogue with myself that allowed myself to stray so far from Church, and it is my own internal thoughts that cause many of my fears and doubts even now. The first thing I need to start doing is talking more to God and asking him to work with me on changing my internal thoughts...it really never is too late to start growing!