Monday, November 17, 2003

Day 22: Created to Become Like Christ

I sometimes have to remind myself that discomfort in my life, along with trials and tribulations, has a purpose. I think too often I seek to relieve myself of these burdens or obstacles without ever thinking about why they are there in the first place. I need to remember that these things are put here to test me, and growth will be the ultimate result.

Life is not about me. That is sometimes hard to remember.

The hardest part of this chapter for me was the part about needing to cooperate with the Holy Spirit. Taking that step of faith is often the hardest part for me. God has yet to fail me, but when trust is an issue for a person, putting yourself out there can still be scary.

I liked the concept that becoming more like Jesus is an active process that requires participation. I can't pray and go to church on Sundays and read my little study book and then wait for good things to happen to me. I need to exercise MY responsibility in the process and do what I can to be more godly: changing the way I act, think and behave. I used to scoff when I would see bracelets and stickers and things with the initials WWJD (what would Jesus do) on them, but the more I think about it...the more I realize that rather than scoffing, I need to be applying that concept to my life!! What WOULD Jesus do?

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
I was created to become like Christ.

Verse to Remember: "As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more." 2 Corinthians 3:18b (NLT)

Question to Consider: In what area of my life do I need to ask for the Spirit's power to be like Christ today?


As I have mentioned before, relationships are something that I struggle with. Even after reading that one of the purposes of my life is to love God and love other people, I still struggle with those other relationships. I think that this is one area that I need to ask God for assistance with, because I still am struggling with my effort.

One thing that I read in this chapter that I was very reassured to read was that spiritual growth and maturity is not something that happens overnight or as soon as you ask God for it....it can take your whole lifetime and then sometimes you still aren't all the way there. I am glad to know that while my progress may be slow, and sometimes I think I am getting nowhere at all....I actually AM growing and maturing...step by step!