Saturday, November 22, 2003

Day 27: Defeating Temptation

I find it very true that whatever we focus our attention on becomes more and more a part of us, so it would stand to reason that if we continually focused on a temptation (even if it were in an effort to overcome it) then that temptation would become more a part of our life. I have often found the most effective way for me to overcome temptation is simply to switch gears....do something else, talk about something else, put some music on and sing....I do something different than what I was doing at the moment of temptation...it helps.

Talking about our temptations is indeed scary, but I think that Warren is right when he says that whatever we talk about is already out of control in our lives. If I can't talk about it, not even to Darryl, then it must truly be a problem for me. I need to think on that a while.

I don't have a lot to write about this chapter, but it did give me a lot to think about in terms of how I can step up and overcome my temptations with God's help. Having a spiritual partner to talk about my issues with will likely be a big help.

Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder:
There is always a way out.

Verse to Remember: "God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it." 1 Corinthians 10:13b (NLT)

Question to Consider: Who could I ask to be a spiritual partner to help me defeat a persistent temptation by praying for me?


Ohhhhh Daaarrrryyyylllll....actually, Darryl would be a good person for me to start sharing my temptations with. Not the every day ones that I have no trouble talking about, but the ones that I hold deep inside and try and fix on my own. Since they are still here, it is time I acknowledge that me doing it on my own isn't getting anywhere! It is time I ask for help on overcoming my temptations.