Monday, November 03, 2003

Day Eight: Planned for God's Pleasure

You always hear about people who say "God has a sense of humor," and I am so glad that he does! If he didn't then our lives would be rather dull since we are made in his image!!

One thing that really stood out for me in this chapter, and has me pause, was the concept that everything we do should be considered worship. That everything we do in our lives should be done to bring him pleasure. That our entire lives should be public displays of our love for and our commitment to him.

Thinking about worship as a lifestyle is something that I think I may have difficulty with. I have generally been one of those individuals who only thought of "worship" as the activities that you do in church. I never necessarily considered it to just be the music part of the service, but I never really thought about how I can "worship" at any other time in my life. Thinking about doing everything as if I were doing for Jesus really puts that concept in a new light.

I also know that I have been guilty of being one of those half-hearted worshippers God complained about in Isaiah 29. There have been days that I dragged myself out of bed and went to church, not because I was excited to go and spend time with God, but because I felt I was "expected" to. Thinking now on those times make me realize that I must have been hurting God when I wasn't sincere in the time I was spending with him. This is something that I continue to strive to be conscious of.

Tomorrow is the last day of my conference, and I think that I am going to try and take some of the lessons of this chapter and try and be more aware of God's presence...to try and do everything for the pleasure of God!